Looking for an easy-to-make, healthy & delicious banana bread recipe? Don’t go any further; you’ve found the perfect page. This is probably the lightest recipe you can find… and it tastes just like the real thing. No fat, no added sugar (bananas are quite sweet fruits already), and only 10min to prepare the dough – you’ll get your snacks sorted for an entire week – unless you have to share.
I tend to make it quite often, it’s a party favourite, and it can be kept in the fridge up to 4 days.
Pro-tip: don’t slice it if you don’t eat it right away, it tends to lose in moisture once it’s cut.
You can’t go wrong with this recipe, as long as your weight your ingredients and make sure to add them in the correct order. You can even get a bit creative, and add flavoured whey protein to the mix (it goes perfectly with toffee, vanilla or coffee powders) or a spoon of dark chocolate powder.
The Healthiest Banana Bread Recipe!
- 100 g wholemeal flour can substitute 30g of flour with whey protein powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 ripe bananas
- 200 g fat free natural yogurt (Marigold for example)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 handful Nuts & grains for topping
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla flavoring and/or sweetener see recommendations below
- In a large bowl, whisk all of the dry ingredients (flour, protein powder, baking powder, baking soda, sweetener if powder)
- Add eggs, mix, then add yoghurt, apple sauce & liquid flavourings if any. Mix well.
- Mush bananas in a small plate with a fork, and add it to the mixture. Mix gently (but do not overmix) Taste and adjust flavorings if needed.
- Cover a pan with baking paper. Grease it with a bit of oil and tissue paper. Spread batter into it.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Baking times vary, so keep an eye on yours. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool for a few minutes. It goes very well with peanut butter or yoghurt with fresh fruits.
In my opinion, the best sugarfree flavourings you can get are the FlavDrops from Myprotein. They have a natural & very sweet taste, that will complement nicely any of your cakes, pancakes or oatmeal recipe.
Why using apple sauce in your recipes? Unsweetened apple sauce is a great substitute for oil, butter or any fat – it keeps the cake moist & helps a lot remove it from the mould. You can find unsweetened apple sauce in any Fair Price Finest & Cold Storage outlets.